Saturday, March 22, 2014

Traffic and banking is all for the children.

Perhaps an odd moment to take time to overview something I've been experience since I arrived in South Korea, but I've noticed traffic here to be quite...different than from back home on a number of occasions. Though people seem to want to get from point A to point B just as quickly as those back home, the difference is, people seem to be a bit more cautious, if not slightly reserve compared to North American drivers. For the most part, honking seems to be just that, honking; it means little more then a 'hey, what you doing' and everyone seems to abide by it without much of a fuss. Another thing that surprises me is how focused everyone is while driving. Sure, you get people not really paying attention and a quick honk gets them, but the many near misses I've seen of potential accidents proves just how careful and attentive drives are here. That being said, Buses's seem to be the exception.

In the words of a friend, Buses Don't give an F, literally, they don't. I've seen buses blitz through red lights, make wide turns before the light changes, and just general not show much consideration towards the other drives on the road. Perhaps its a cultural thing, buses carrying people and being these lumbering behemoths of metal are easily able to impose their superior strength to other drivers and vehicles on the road, demanding their respect abet forcefully on those around them. It also helps the buses themselves aren't as large as North American types so they can get away with a few cut corners and violent movements.

Bikers too, those who ride on motor-scooters to do delivers, which is another major thing in South Korea, don't often abide either, but it takes a different kind of crazy to be willing to drive something like that through the streets of Seoul. Cyclists are far and few, keeping to the bike paths here and there, so it makes me feel better knowing they don't want to mess around in such dangers as the traffic grid in South Korea.

I also found that accidents are very, very rare. Though I mentioned near-misses before, the likelyhood of an accident seems apparent daily, but people seem quite capable and focused to dodging one another near the last second. However, even with the best of luck and skill they show, there are accidents. A few days ago, when the first rainy day, I was coming home from work and noticed a few people standing at the corner with police officers. Looking into the street, I saw this:
Smallest tow-truck ever!

For the first time since I got here, I was able to see an aftermath of an accident; and this wasn't just a fender bender either. Most notably, the tow truck here is a lot smaller than I expected it to see, considering most people buy luxury cars here (though SUV's aren't common here, so I guess it works.)

I noticed the police talking to the drivers of the cars, probably getting the info on the crash as I crossed the street to get to where I had to go, snapping two shots of the cars themselves and could see the                                                                    damage was present; not extensive, but present.
its only a scratch
 The second thing I found interesting was how they mark out an accident, they draw lines where the cars were after the crash, why? I'm not too sure, perhaps it's to help with insurance, but whatever the case, it's still cool.
Marking the scene of the crime...

That's just one other thing about Korea I noticed, you don't often see accidents or crime for that matter, but when it happens, even if it's not a serious issue, it's taken quite seriously. It goes in tandem with my Embassy trip to get my Alien Registration (ARC) card, which I have received and now carry around with me.

I've also recently came across another major issue Expacts must deal with, banking, and preparing your international banking for your job (to be paid) and just in general to have.
Going to the bank sounded rather simple, and quite welcoming to English speaking teachers (as most of the clerks seem to be very good at it) when spoken about with my fellow foreign teachers.

All banks run the same method for providing accounts for foreigners, some better than others, it depends on what people say. I personally went with KEB as most of my co-teacher use it and spoke well of its services, and considering there is one only a few blocks away, I decided to go with it.

Once you decide which bank, there are a few things you will need. First, and most important is your ARC, that is always going to be a must-have with any sort of financial (or phone) operation. You will also need your phone number and address (I didn't know mine, but the clerk lady who helped me was able to bring it up once I gave her my ARC, which is pretty cool, but also a bit unsettling how they can access it like that.)

You can go for a saving account, which for KEB is known as a 'Rainbow' bank account, since many banks deal with foreigners, they often know what you need. Another major thing that is a good thing to do is to have a remittance account, which is a 'add-on' to the basic account you'll pick up. This requires a few other components to access it, but I'll get to it later. For now, lets deal with your primary account.
Once you sort out the details, they will ask if you'd want a debit card or not, go with it, it's a good idea. Lastly there is also the choice of how much you wish to transfer daily. They have a pretty high number of their limit, but considering my pay and such, I think 5,000,000 Won (5,000) would be sufficient.)

The Remittance account (or Easy One as KEB calls it) is what you require to transfer money to your Canadian/American/British bank account back home. You will need your Bank Address, City and Country, The bank IBAN (International Banking Number, which is located on the upper section of your bank statements (can be seen on the online version of it too if you have one), BIC number (next to the IBAN number) your account number to transfer the money to, and a your passport. Once that's all done, your accounts should be connected within a few days and you'll be able to transfer money over, for a fee of course. I hear they also have online banking, but I hear it can get a tad complicated so I think I'll just stick to managing it through their ATM's which apparently can do EVERYTHING from withdraw and deposit to transfer money and pay bills, wicked!

My week of teaching has also been full of great experiences, especially since we had the first field trip. The Kindy kids and teachers went to a play park known as Cocomongo Eco Park; a small amusement park-like place without the roller coasters. It was quaint, probably no bigger than a small apartment store, packed with fun child-oriented activities such as play-gyms, go-karts, slides, inner tube's and interior play parks with matted floors and walls, just like the old days of Kids Zone back home when it was around.
I enjoyed my time there, being with my class, having them go around the play area and enjoying themselves was a pretty good feeling to have and an awesome experience to share. I know that sort of thing helps kids bond with their teacher, especially if he's willing to be the monster in a game of chase, RAWR!

The only regret I have is allowing my kids to clamber over me, I was not a happy camper during school which we had to go back to in the afternoon (did I mention I still had to teach a full class load till 6? Not fun when you're both tired and sore.)
Either way, the experience was rewarding and I don't regret going one bit
Pro tip, those characters are all based off food!


I look forward to teaching these kids, to nurtrue and care for them and instruct them on the proper ways of the English Language. They are smart, creative, active and very curious, all nuttyness as children aside, their wonderful, and I cannot wait to see where I can lead them and what they will show me.

No comments:

Post a Comment