Saturday, March 1, 2014

Japan and its Temples

From the time I write this, I am currently settling into my personal residence in Budang near Yapta station in South Korea, just a short subway ride South of Seoul. I had much to think about from the time I posted my blog on my first day in Japan till now, partly because I've been so busy with going out and seeing the countries we've traveled to, because think about it, do you want to sit behind a computer or explore new surroundings?

Suffice to say, things were quite interesting, aside from diving into the Ancient Japanese culture of temple worship and such, I found a rather interesting connection between the people and their faith. This sort of thing has been going on for many many years since the early 600's to the waring states era to modern times. To see that entire parks and plots of land cared and conserved for these temples, let alone the attendance is shocking.
Meijin Shrine Entrance
We went to Meiji Shrine for our first temple visit, one of the important temples to the Emperor and still considered sacred even to this day. Massive gates welcome you into the area, wandering through the beautiful greenery of the park surrounding the temple, you can always forget you're in the city when you walk through the calmness and serenity of these parks, eventually making your way to the temple grounds themselves deep inside (past a bathroom or two at least).

Love that bamboo
Before you enter a temple however, and this seems to be common throught Japan's numerious temple sites. Purification of your hands and mouth is a must, and these little fountains come loaded with small spoons to pour water onto your hands and to drink before you enter the temple grounds. Bear in mind, photography in parts of the temple grounds were prohibited, so I didn't get a lot of pictures of the actual temple, but did get the courtyard and a few other things to show you.

These wooden plaques, known as Ema; tablets for prayers of gratitude and have wishes  people ask from the deities of the temple and park to come true. Its pretty cool. We wished all the best for our friends and family.


As we wound our way around the courtyard, we were able to witness two impressive events; one was the withdraw of the monks and priests of the temple after their services, and a wedding ceremony, just a few interesting things to see that you don't often do back home.
Its traditional stuff like this that make the trip and culture far more interesting than anything seen before. I know precession for weddings and such are quite formal and sometimes a little more reserved, but you watch a bride and groom in garb perhaps a little less flaunt than what we'd see back home, a few close associates, shrine maidens and monks walking the newly weds (and parents I think) through a courtyard with a parasol, its kinda mystical, if not far more magical to watch and witness.


 One last thing to note, and I found this to be one of the coolest, apparently, each temple has their own stash of wine and sake for special occasions, and when I mean stash, I mean STASH! I was mind blown by how many barrels of the stuff they had lining the park exit, and the decorative barrels for the sake really drew my attention. You just don't see that kind of thing back home...man...Japan is pretty darn cool!
 

I can safely say the entire trip to Japan was well worth, and though this blog is more towards my teaching experience in South Korea, I can still place a few good words to a trade mark location I've been dying to go to for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment