Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Big Adventures Await

Hello one and all people of the internet, my name is Mitchell Flatt. I'm 26 years old, a graduate with an English BA from York University in Toronto, Ontario. I like nice walks outside, but also love video games, role playing, miniature models and figures, writing, reading and a lot of other normal things people enjoy (that and the emphasis on geeky stuff hence my inner nerd.) Suffice to say, I'm in the midst of a grand escapade to befall my life. Since I graduated, I've been sitting in a rut of laziness and procrastination. I've not been able to complete many projects I've started over the years, even getting so far as to wrapping up a thrilling story but leaving the end out of uncertainty. Many more projects and plans lay scattered and untouched, and my life seemed to go in a depressing line of never losing or gaining. I've worked since then, jobs here and there. My most recent was Security, working in that field to gain some knowledge of the industry for future career choices, but it wasn't were I should have been; I knew, as well as a few of my closer co-workers, that I wasn't meant to be stuck in that field, and that something else is out there for me to take and gain valuable experience.

 Dating back to September of 2013, I decided to go about searching for this new path in the one place I had tried before; teaching. Teaching English abroad has been told to me by many people as a very positive and rewarding experience. I had dawned the idea sometime ago back in 2011, but due to circumstances, I lost interest in pursuing it, but during my current employment, I had decided to further investigate the idea of teaching abroad, and this time, taking it far more seriously. Since that month, I had searched the internet, searching contacts, checking connections and doing everything I could from sending over resumes and info to having phone interviews, I did it all in hopes of snatching a position teaching abroad. I had been trying for months to find a position, but by the end of October, because of all the false ends and failures that I'd run into, I started to doubt myself that I'd ever get an opportunity to teach abroad. However, fate has a strange way of making things happen, and that opportunity I sought soon came knocking.

On December 27th, 2013, I received word from a recruitment agency I had been working with to hear that I've been accepted for a teaching job in South Korea. The news filled me with great joy and excitement. I guess words really can't describe how I felt; it was like getting something you've sought after your whole life, only a bit less than that, and add some additional bang for the fact it would be very useful in the long run of your life. However you look at it, the fact remained, I had been accepted, and began the rather tedious process of preparing all the required documents, VISA, and travel plans. This blog is designed to be the verbal and visual launch pad of my adventures in South Korea and all the process and progress made both through the agency, the school and my own person endeavors. Both reports in text, and movies when able, will be documented here, and above all, the experience I will have and lessons I've learned to take from this whole thing will be passed on to my fellow followers, readers and adventurers.

 Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment